Recipe By : Sitara
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Casseroles New Orleans/Cajun/Creole
Luncheon Main Dishes
Pork & Ham Potatoes
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon basil
mix well and set aside
CABBAGE, APPLES & ANDOUILLE
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups onon -- julienned
10 cups cabbage -- chopped and packed
1 cup chicken stock
2 large bay leaves
3 cups apples -- unpeeled and juliened (use a firm crisp apple like Braeburn)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 pound andouille sausage -- slicked thick
1. Mix together all ingredients for the seasoning mix and set aside.
2. In a large pot, brown the andouille coins in some butter and oilive oil till golden and set aside. In the same pot saute onions in butter about 2 minutes.
3. Add cabbage, 1/2 cup stock, bay leaves and seasoning mix. Cook 20 minutes till cabbage is soft.
4. Stir in apples and cook 5 minutes.
5. Stir in brown sugar and rest of stock. Cook 10 minutes.
6. Add andouille sausage and cook 10 minutes.
Note: This seasoning mix is pretty spicy hot, after all it's Cajun !! If you like spicy, use it all. If you are more timid only use about half and see how it goes and add more to your taste.
To plate: Put a mound of mashed potatoes in the center of your plate. Make a well in the mashed potatoes and pile in the cabbage mixture. Stand back and watch your family or guests take the first bite!!! Oh, the eyebrows go up and the big smile starts!!