This Seafood Pasta Salad w/Saffron Herb Dressing is elegant enough to serve for Brunch and simple enough to serve for a picnic. The saffron dressing makes it unique and very special.
Saffron is an expensive spice. But a little goes a long way. Don't use any substitute for the saffron in this dressing, it's just not the same.
Recipe By : Sitara
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Appetizers Fish
Luncheon Main Dishes
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound pasta shells or penne
2 pounds cooked shrimp
1 pound crab claw meat
1 pound cooked lobster meat -- or boiled crawfish tail meat
4 cups celery -- sliced
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup green onion -- minced
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons capers
4 tablespoons fresh tarragon -- minced
4 tablespoons dill
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook pasta till still al dente. Drain. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid.
2. Put 1/2 cup of hot cooking liquid in bowl and put saffron threads in to soak.
3. Put pasta in large bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and
2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Toss to coat and let pasta cool in the refrigerator.
4. To saffron mixture add the rest of the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Pour dressing over chilled pasta. Add shrimp and/or lobster or crawfish and celery and toss.
Add some of the reserved pasta liquid if it is too dry. Add crabmeat at the end and toss gently.
Serve on torn romaine hearts or butter lettuce. Garnish with lemon wedges and dill springs.