Here is a wonderful salad using the versatile quinoa. This one has flavors and aromas from India and is wonderful as a side dish or could be made a main dish salad with the addition of cooked, cubed chicken or shrimp, etc.
This salad is simple to make, doesn't take a lot of time and you could serve it warm or cold. It would be a great addition to your arsenal of pot luck recipes as well.
Recipe By : Sitara
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : India Side Dishes Salads Vegetables Vegetarian
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups quinoa
3 cups water
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 cup raisins --or white raisins -- or currants
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 stalks celery -- diced
1 large red bell pepper -- diced
5 scallions -- diagonally sliced
1/2 cup slivered almonds -- toasted
1/2 cup coconut flakes
4 ounces Major Grey chutney
1. Toast the almonds in a large heavy skillet and set aside to cool. Rinse the quinoa well if it is not a pre rinsed variety. In the same heavy skillet over medium heat, add the quinoa and stir constantly for about 10 minutes till moisture is evaporated and the quinoa is dry and toasted golden.
2. Put 3 cups of water and one tablespoon of garam masala in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the toasted quinoa, return to the boil then turn down to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes till the quinoa has absorbed all the liquid.
3. Meanwhile bring about a cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan, remove from heat and add raisins and soak till plumping. Drain well.
4. In the same skillet you used to toast the quinoa, heat the sesame and coconut oil. Add the celery and bell pepper and then the teaspoon of garam masala. Saute for 2 minutes then add the scallions and saute for another minute. Remove from heat.
5. In a large bowl put the sauteed vegetables, raisins, coconut, almonds and Major Grey chutney and mix well. (If the Major Grey Chutney is chunky, mash it or blend it till smooth) Add the quinoa and fold all together.
Serve warm or cold.