If fresh or wild mushrooms are out of season or hard to come by, use the dried mushroom mixtures. Just soak dried mushrooms in boiling hot water for a few minutes while you are getting all your other ingredients together. You can also throw in some portabello, crimini or button mushrooms too. Any and all mushrooms are good in this recipe.
Recipe By : Sitara
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Luncheon Main Dishes
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 shallot -- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
6 ounces chanterelle mushrooms -- halved
6 ounces oyster mushrooms -- halved
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms -- sliced thick
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 cup chicken stock
2 large thyme sprigs
2 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup polenta
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
1/2 teaspoon rosemary -- finely chopped
1 /2 teaspoon thyme -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon parsley -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon marjoram -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese -- grated
plus more shredded parm for serving
salt and pepper
MAKE THE RAGOUT
1. In deep skillet, melt half the butter and half the olive oil, add half the shallots and garlic and all of the chanterelles and oyster mushrooms and cook over med-high heat stirring occasionally till softened and golden, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
2. Melt the remaning butter and olive oil , add the remaining shallots and garlic and
the shitake mushrooms and cook over medium high heat till softened and golden,
about 6 minutes.
3. Return all the mushrooms to the same skillet and season with salt and pepper
and cook for one minute. Add the chicken stock and thyme and simmer for 5 minutes.
MAKE THE POLENTA
1. In a large saucepot, combine the milk, stock and butter and bring to a boil.
2, Whisk in the polenta and cook over low heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon till very thick, about 8 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, mascarpone, herbs and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the polenta on to plates and top with mushroom ragout, top with shredded parmesan and sprig of herbs.