Here is one of my favorite sweet biscotti recipes. It's wonderful with a cup of coffee .
Biscotti doesn't have to be sweet, you know, there are savory biscotti with cheese, herbs and things. Check out the Savory Biscotti too.
2 cups all purpose flour
11/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs ( room temp )
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup dried cranberries
12 oz good quality dark chocolate, chips or bark
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
1. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend.
3. Add the eggs one at a time. Beating a bit after each addition.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix by hand until just blended.
5. Stir in the walnuts and cranberries until it is all even and dough comes together.
Form the dough into a long loaf about 3 inches wide on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake until light golden brown about 40 minutes ( middle rack ) cool for at least 30 minutes.
6. On a cutting board using a serrated knife, carefully cut the loaf on the diagonal into ½ to ¾ in thick slices. Place back on the baking sheet cut side down, and bake until pale golden - about 15 minutes. Place on rack to cool completely.
Place the dark chocolate in a microwaveable bowl or large tall cup, microwave in small increments 10-15 seconds at a time stirring often until melted and smooth. Dip half of the biscotti in the chocolate and shake off the excess gently place on piece of wax paper to cool and harden.
If you make the biscotti ahead of time store in a airtight container for up to 3 days, or wrap in foil and freeze up to 3 weeks, thaw and serve.
Other variations are:
Chopped pistachios ( very good )